Chapel of St Albin
Description
The most challenging section through the Viamala Gorge was once marked by two sacred buildings: to the north by the chapel of St Albin (first mentioned in the 12th century), which is still in ruins, and to the south by the chapel of St Ambriesch (first mentioned around 1209), which has been completely demolished. The only pictorial representation of St. Ambriesch comes from the Dutch painter Jan Hackaert, although it shows the chapel as a ruin as early as 1655. St Albin's Chapel, on the other hand, still has the remnants of a cross vault above the choir, which suggests an early, perhaps even late Roman-early medieval construction period. There was probably once a rest stop here at the end of the Carschenna pasture.
Accessibility The chapel is freely accessible. Please take care of the meadow by the chapel!